Tuesday 8 July 2014

5 ways to enjoy Tokyo on a rainy day

What do you do when it rains in your city on the weekend? Do you do the same thing as me - stay at home and watch tv?

For me, I almost always unhappy to see dark skies hanging over the horizon, threatening to pour on us, poor humans. So there are days that I didn't want to leave my apartment because the skies looked slightly dark... During the rainy season, sometimes, the only time that I would agree to come out is to make an appointment that I cannot miss. Or else, I am determined to stay indoors for days until it clears up.

But of course, I know I can't hide in my apartment whenever it rains, so I decided to take a proactive approach - to go out anyway. But not without some preparations.

To encourage myself to go out on a rainy day, I bought a new (cute ^^) rain boots, flowery (think Cath Kidston) raincoat and an orange polka dot umbrella! All the happiest colours I can find in the rain gear section to tackle the rainy day! If you see a lady decked-in colourful, flowery raincoat with an orange polka dot umbrella, that might be me ^^.

But I also hate to walk in the rain, so where is good to go on a rainy day, I asked myself. So then, I came up with this list - 5 ways to enjoy Tokyo on a rainy day.

1. Visit a hydrangea garden
The best time to photograph the hydrangea is when it is raining. They looked so right with the raindrops on them. I find that photographing hydrangea in the rain is a perfect motivation for me on a rainy day.


2. Visit an aquarium
After one experience trying to avoid the typhoon in Tokyo, I decided that visiting an aquarium is probably one of the best ways to stay out of the rain and enjoy yourself at the same time.


3. Bring your favourite book and go to the coffee shop at the Tokyo Tower
The view may not be so much from the top of the Tokyo Tower during the rainy days, but at least, it keeps you dry and you can enjoy a cup of coffee while reading your book.


4. Visit museums or learn about beer-making at the Ebisu Beer Museum in Ebisu station
I decided that the beer museum is good for rainy days when I got bored and just wanted to be outside of my apartment, but didn't want to get wet. In the beer museum, you can join their tour or buy beer and snacks to enjoy. I can assure you that you will feel so much better about the rain after a drink or two!


5. Visit an onsen (This is a suggestion from my friend, an onsen-lover)
I have not personally tried this one, but I hope to do so soon before the weather gets too hot and no, I don't want to dip in a hot spring in summer. My friend, K, told me that the best time to go to a popular onsen like the Oedo Onsen Monogatari is on a rainy day! She claims that after soaking in the hot spring, she felt so energized that no wet day is going to dampen her spirit! I am quite convinced actually. So, I am going to try it one of these days.
You can check out the website for Oedo Onsen Monogatari, which is available in English here.

What about you? What do you do to on a rainy day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...